We offer mindfulness courses, workshops and retreats for beginners and more experienced practitioners, in Cuckfield (nr Haywards Heath), West Sussex. Our wide-ranging programme is led by mindfulness teacher and author Ed Halliwell. We also offer mindfulness training for schools and other organisations.
Our public offering includes:
Eight-week mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) courses
Graduate practice sessions, day and weekend retreats. and follow-up courses for people who’ve already completed an eight-week course.
One-to-one/small private group classes
- One-to-one sessions via Skype
We are currently taking bookings for...
One-Day Introduction To Mindfulness Workshops
Our one-day workshops are for people curious about mindfulness or considering taking a mindfulness course. These workshops introduce key principles for living mindfully, and core practices to help cultivate mindfulness in daily life. Tea, coffee, refreshments and a light vegetarian lunch from The Sussex Produce Company are included. The cost is £75 and workshops are held at The Old School, Cuckfield, near Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
- Thursday 19th January 2017 10am-5pm. Find out more.
- Sunday 5th February 2017 10am-5pm. Find out more.
- Saturday, 2nd April, 2017 10am-5pm. Find out more.
Morning and Evening Eight-Week Mindfulness Courses
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is the gold standard eight-week mindfulness course. The course teaches us how to cultivate awareness and be less caught up in automatic thoughts, feelings and behaviour patterns. Participants learn meditation practices which can transform daily life, including sitting meditation, body scanning and mindful movement.
Saturday Morning Course: (Fully Booked)
- For 9-weekly sessions from Saturday 7th January 2017, 10am-12pm (the first week is an orientation session) taught by Ed Halliwell (The course includes a six-hour day retreat on Sunday 19th February). Please do join the waiting list as places do sometimes become available nearer the date.
Wednesday Morning Course: (Fully Booked)
- For 9-weekly sessions starting with an orientation session on Wednesday 25th January and then a further 8-sessions from Wednesday 8th February 2017, 10am-12pm taught by Ed Halliwell (The course includes a six-hour day retreat on Sunday 19th March). Please do join the waiting list as places do sometimes become available nearer the date.
Wednesday Evening Course:
- For 9-weekly sessions starting with an orientation session on the 25th January and then a further 8-sessions from Wednesday 8th February 2017, 7.30pm-9.30pm taught by Ed Halliwell (The course includes a six-hour day retreat on Sunday 19th March). Find out more.
Thursday Morning Course:
- For 9-weekly sessions from Thursday 9th March 2017, 10am-12pm, (there will be a break on the 20th April) taught by Ed Halliwell (The course includes a six-hour day retreat on Sunday 30th April). Find out more.
(Please note, we often hold waiting lists for our courses and early booking is advised.)
Our graduate programme supports people who’ve completed an eight-week course, through ongoing opportunities to practise with others and deepen their learning. The programme includes morning and evening sessions, non-residential day retreats and residential weekend retreats. Find out more
One-to-One/Small Private Groups
For those unable to attend a group course, we have a few spaces available for one-to-one mindfulness sessions. These usually follow the curriculum of an eight-week course, adapted for individuals. One-to-one sessions for mindfulness course graduates can also be arranged. For those unable to make our location in Cuckfield, West Sussex, we can offer one-to-one mindfulness training via Skype. Please contact us for a further discussion if you are interested in one-to-one/small group sessions.
Introduction to Mindfulness - Residential Weekend Retreat
This residential weekend retreat offers an experiential introduction to mindfulness, exploring what mindfulness is, how it can be cultivated and what it can bring to our lives. Full board, single, ensuite rooms. (Early bird rates currently available)
- 24th-26th March 2017, Lingfield, Surrey, Find out more from our Mindfulness Retreats website.
- 8th-10th September 2017, Lingfield, Surrey, Find out more from our Mindfulness Retreats website.
Course and Workshops in London
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a way of paying attention, staying present and responding skilfully to what’s happening in our lives. It helps people manage their thoughts, feelings, behaviours and relationships with awareness and compassion, leading to greater well-being and appreciation, as well as more choice in how to meet challenges. Mindfulness is cultivated by a exploring a range of simple meditation practices and approaches to living, as taught on our courses. Our approach is based on the 'gold standard' mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) course, which was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachussetts medical school, and has been used for over thirty five years to help with stress, anxiety, and chronic health problems, as well as to promote resilience and flourishing. An extensive body of clinical research has consistently shown that this approach to teaching mindfulness is helpful for working with a wide range of conditions, as well as for optimising well-being, and it is now taught widely in healthcare, education, workplaces and other settings.
Who teaches our mindfulness courses?
All of our courses are led by Ed Halliwell. Ed is the author of three books:Mindfulness: How To Live Well By Paying Attention, Into The Heart of Mindfulness and (as co-author) The Mindful Manifesto. As well as teaching mindfulness to public groups and in organisations, he is an advisor to The Mindfulness Initiative, which is supporting the Mindfulness All-Party Parliamentary Group to develop mindfulness-based policies for the UK, and a faculty member of The School of Life in London. Find out more about Ed.
Watch a video of Ed Halliwell talking about mindfulness for the Mental Health Foundation's 'Be Mindful' campaign.
Watch a video of Ed Halliwell introducing the Be Mindful Online course
Watch a video of Professor Mark Williams from Oxford University talk about mindfulness and stress reduction for the Mental Health Foundation's 'Be Mindful' campaign.
Read media coverage about Ed Halliwell and Mindfulness Sussex here.
Read testimonials from people who've participated in our courses and workshops.